This week I'm starting a new mini-series as an experiment, patterned after the excellent Mind Hacks "Spike activity" posts (e.g., 2010-11-26 Spike activity). The idea is for me to share interesting, stimulating, and useful experiments in the news related to The Experiment-Driven Life, with a goal of tiying them in to my Think, Try, Learn work. (My original Edison experiment was use Google Alerts for "experiment" to promote TTL and Edison.)
I'll post my first one shortly, but I wanted to share here a few candidate category patterns that *might* be in what's reported in the news. Following are a few very rough groupings that I've noticed. Comments always welcome!
- Time to Pull the Plug in the Chad Henne Experiment in Miami
- Bills' Toronto experiment falling short of expectations
- Our Turn At The American Experiment : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR
- REAGAN: Congress should repeal 'Obamacare'
- A U.S. Cap-And-Trade Experiment to End
- The Tea Party experiment comes up short in NJ
- Anglo-French experiment is good for EU
- NASA Funded Experiment Selects Coraid for Its Antarctic Mission
- Arizona Researchers Experiment with 'Star Wars' 3D Holograms | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
- Fermilab Experiment Hints At Existence of Brand-New Elementary Particle | Popular Science
- Fusion makes major step forward at MIT through studies of the plasma edge
- 'Kids In Micro-G' Program Seeking 2011 Science Submissions - Space News - redOrbit
- Navigating teen years requires making space to experiment <- PARENTING?
- Kinect For A Healthier Life - An Experiment In Weight Loss - Platform Nation
- An Experiment in "Thankfulness"
- UNH professor furnishes entire home for $1,000 - BostonHerald.com
Art and entertainment
- Garry Shandling recalls the 'lab experiment' that was 'The Larry Sanders Show' - latimes.com
- The Hindu : Arts / Art : An experiment with nail art
- Evanescence To Experiment On New Album, Drummer Says
- The great expressionist experiment: theatre seizes the essence of life | Stage | guardian.co.uk
- Did the Post's Election Twitter Experiment Work? - Alexis Madrigal - Technology - The Atlantic <- SOCIALn
- Experiment tests Volunteer honesty | The Daily Beacon
- How Amazon Speeds Up Economics Experiments - Alexis Madrigal - Technology - The Atlantic <- COOL!
- At Duke University, an experiment in community health care
- Citizen Economists » David Rand: Social Science experiments with Mechanical Turk
- Nexus One Failed. Yet Why Are There Rumours Of Nexus Two? | AccuraCast Digital Media News
- The Daily Maverick :: Analysis: The great Times UK paywall experiment and why we shouldn't learn from it